Posts Tagged ‘Fat Duck’
I’m saving my pennies to buy The Modernist Cuisine. Its a 5 volume book on cuisine.
It looks at cuisine more than just an art but as a science. It debunks old myths and answers festering questions like:
- Why plunging food in ice water doesn’t stop the cooking process; Uh-oh…
- When boiling cooks faster than steaming;
- Why raising the grill doesn’t lower the heat;
- How low-cost pots and pans can perform better than expensive ones; Yes!
- Why baking is mostly a drying process;
- Why deep-fried food tastes best and browns better when the oil is older;
- How modern cooking techniques can achieve ideal results without the perfect timing or good luck that traditional methods demand
So it’s a very technical and scientific approach to cooking and for information obsessed Geminis like you and me, I think this would be a great way to understand the world of cooking. The book is the brainchild of a bunch of scientists and cuisine artists: Nathan Myhrvold, an inventor and founder of Microsoft research; Chris Young and Maxime Bilet from the Fat Duck.
It costs close to $500. So perhaps you could pass the hat back home and get me this for my birthday?